Thursday, September 02, 2010

A chat with the enemy - a short story


His big bulky eyes stared at me and his question lead me deep into the spiral of silence. The very fact that I existed bought out the worst in both of us and we knew that we were better off avoiding each  other.

But then one fine day the enemy walks up to me and offers me a cigar.
“Have it” he says “Its my birthday”
I look at him and few moments go by in complete silence.
Something seemed wrong in those big bulky eyes and that sly smile. (One which know it all have).
“No its not poisoned” he says.
But I still linger with the cigar in my hand.
I did not smoke. But today was not about what I did not do. Today was about what I can do.
“I quit smoking, 35 years ago”. I said and I felt it was a nice joke.
But he not feel so, no laugh not even a chuckle
But he was an enemy after all.
So many times I tried to not think about him. So many times I left the place he was with pleasure so I could avoid him. I felt anger every time I see him, but strangely I still respect him.
So Cigar it was. And I finally lit one.
How’s family ? I asked.
Family is good. Family is always good.
In my head (Yeah right how they must be bearing with you…)
How’s yours ?
Excellent Never been better.
I must say you turn out OK , old sport
You are doing Great Gatsby with me.
Get out of here
No you get out of here.

And then we did actually moved on. We are still enemies. But we did share a little moment of peace.

No comments: