Friday, May 06, 2011

Kite runner. A poet's tale (Part 1)

(All poems used in this story are original works except for the first poem)

I think about the reason why
The sun and moon are in the sky
And how the tears drip from my eye
And how a kite can fly so high.

I think about the reason for
The seeds inside an apple core
And how the waves get to the shore
And how a lion roars its roar.

Little miss Sannie wrote this and she rushed to her father. Her father Mr. Ajay Bhalerao  was a government employee. He read this and said - "Sandhya"

"Call me Sannie papa, I like Sannie"

"Sannie, stop wasting time in this junk. Study, get good grades. Get a government job like me. I want you to be successful and happy married someday".

Sannie did not budge. She was ten then. From that day, she wrote what she felt like and always hid her work from her father.

Then one day she when she was 15, she wrote,

All I need is a bit of love
A bit of touch and a bit of feel

A bit of shiver and little chill
A bit of humour and a bit of smile
A bit of adventure that lasts a mile

Some beauty and some pain
And All the love I can gain


In this time I say some things I don't want to say
And I am unable to say some things I really do want to say

And I wonder, is this love.

All I need is a bit of love
And I don't need anything else.


Then as years went by, she met great poets in books.

She read

Miles to go before I sleep

My love is like a red red rose

Say encore or never more



Then at the age of 20. She felt that love feeling again. This time she knew the boy well but was unable to tell him.

He stays around my breath
And he feels good
I want to have him
But he has been nice to me
And I respect that
Not many people have been nice to me.
And that's where I have this dilemma
I love him, but I know he does not love me.

I am sure.
And hence I crush my love for him
And let him be my friend
Cause I care for him

But I still feel sad
When the time is right to be glad
I sincerely do miss to touch him, hug him.
Does this mean, I am bad?

I do want him to be happy
...while I miss him
And I know being close to him
how far away I am really from him

I know every time I am near him
that he is far away
I know every time I see him smile
That its not for me.

And I let all these things happen.

Two years since that and at 22 life can be really busy. Sannie had no time for boys now, hell she did not even have time to even write poems now. She was cramming and studying hard for the government job entrance exams. It was what her father always wanted and she was not going to let down the Bhalerao tradition of acquiring comfortable government jobs.

She cleared the test. She had the government job in her hand. Her father's  dream had come true!

But inside she felt uneasy

Being inspired by Walt Whitman she wrote-

Song of Sannie

I the untamed
I the fearless

I the beginning and the end of the world

I am the road, I am the answer

I am answerable only to myself

And like uncle Walt - I too sound my barbaric yalp
Upon the roofs of the world

I will do what I want to do

Even if right now I don't have a clue!


Its been 3 years since - At 25 Sannie is coming out with her first book. But more on that later. Right now what we know is she is doing well and she is happy.

(All poems used in this story are original works except for the first poem)

By Ninad Tatke.






No comments: