Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Lady who lifts an elephant everyday.

I have seen India. At-least glimpses of it. From the royal deserts of Rajastan, to the snowy peaks of Himachal, to the bazaars of Kolkata and of course the lifeline full of mad working people city like Mumbai.

But during my last trip down south, I saw something which did not make sense.

In a remote village, it was evening time and I had just finished my days work. As I was getting ready to leave the village, I saw a lady (Amma) lifting an adult elephant in her arms and carrying him upstairs in her house through the open gate in her front yard. For a few moments, I was unsure that this is what I saw, but eventually as I convinced myself on its factuality, I started getting a feeling that I may well be losing my mind.

I walked to a near by tea shop and ordered a cutting chai. The chai wala saw the stunned face I had and he enquired.

"Kyu sahib, saab theek?" (Is everything alright)

Then observing my silence, he explained what I had just seen.

Chaiwala, " I think you just saw amma lifting the elephant"

I nodded.

" That elephant was badly hurt and feverish little orphan baby elephant when Amma decided to take care of him 10 years back. As the elephant was a baby, he was scared after dark and so every evening Amma lifted him and took him upstairs to take care of him.

This has continued over the years and every evening, Amma continues to carry him upstairs even though now elephant has grown up and has become quite heavy. But Amma never felt that as she is lifting something heavy as lifts him everyday and now is used to lifting its weight."


I thought the story so fascinating needed to be told so I called up an journalist friend of mine and , so the elephant would be impossible to lift if we try, now is on the cover  of all major newspapers today happy in Amma's arms.

As for Amma herself, she is puzzled and questions the reporter - Hey what is this buzz all about?





A short Story- By Ninad Tatke.

No comments: