Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pune Watch - Old Pune - My tryst with Destiny.

Time is almost as fickle as mind. Lately it seems more so. I intend to capture some of the experiences I had in the last two years and some beyond that. This is part 2. Part 1 was about FC Road and JM road.


Old Pune.
USA has a concept called Manifest Destiny. It means that God wants USA to succeed and hence does all the things to achieve that. I guess a Puneite/punekar has a similar concept going.

I think and this is my own personal opinion - (with no research) that the manifest destiny of Pune is not about the culture, history, climate, the ego, the pride or any other factor including the city's adaptability. The manifest destiny of this city is its knowledge.

So I was and still am in this city of knowledge and would like to share some bits of the city - in terms of locale with you.

 I begin with Shanvar Wada or the (Saturday Fort). Legend has it that Peshwa (Prime Minister) Bajirao I saw a small goat beat a fox in a duel and that too with a fantastic margin. He saw parallels in that victory with the achievements of maratha empire - as in- beat mughals, win forts, escape or triumph in hopeless situations when they were outnumbered-(almost always)- but still managed to set up an empire. So to show defiance and strength, Bajirao I built a land fort with its main gate pointing towards North - a gesture of defiance towards Delhi.

Next I think I should mention Laxmi road where the old market has all the things a buyer might need and shops which provide them . You have to see this road on Diwali at Laxmi Pujan or at Ganpati with its pandals. A special mention goes here for Appa Balwant Chowk/ABC. It is a second hand academic book buying heaven.

I have walked on these roads wondering what history do these roads hold. Did famous people I have read in history books actually walked on these roads.

Back to reality the places I have seen include Parvati hill. It has a small climb, a old temple and also some history attached to it. Peshwa Madharao was fond of this place and he even breathed his last here.


Camp was infact built by the British when they trained their armies out here. Its a nice place to explore and you still may get the feel of the empire.

FTII was set up around 1920s and NFA around 1925. Both are good places to explore and should be explored. Pune also has the Engineering college and Medical college which has produced some amazing graduates over the years.

Pune also has many other places, bazaars , houses and lanes which are quite old but I have not explored them completely as yet and hence I would just say its a fascinating city which has blended both the old and the new. I wont say much on the culture (my lack of knowledge) but I know for sure that its rich. But the diversity and the blending we have seen in this city is remarkable.

I wish I could write more about old pune because it is indeed something fascinating and perhaps I would ... as and when I have more thoughts on the subject. But for now this is my experience, for better or for worse.

By Ninad Tatke

No comments: